Sunday, August 12, 2012

How is Khomer doing?


“How is Khomer doing?” is the number one question I have been asked the past three weeks. Right before, “How do you say it?” (like Comb-er) and “Are you ready for school to start?” (YES!!!) So I thought I would give a quick update.

In a word, he is doing GREAT. He is as happy and as full of life as he seems in the photos I post on Facebook. We’ve yet to see him angry, upset, sad, anything besides happy. I assume those emotions will surface as he feels more and more comfortable with us and the “honeymoon” phase is over. But all in all, he is a really happy-go-lucky boy. He loves to laugh and have fun. He is full of LOTS of energy, so he fits in perfectly with our other two kiddos.

And speaking of them…Jared and Grace have been wonderful with him. Jared especially has been very patient in teaching him (or bossing him, he is the oldest child, you know…We are bossy for a reason.) various things about life in America and in our family. They have had no problem sharing our attention, and proudly introduce him to everyone we meet as their new brother.  Most adoption agencies will not allow you to adopt out of birth order, but Grace has handled the fact that she is still the youngest and has TWO older brothers with complete grace and ease. We really knew she would, and are very proud that she lived up to it.

Khomer is still following me everywhere around the house, which is so sweet, but can also be annoying too. I move around like a whirlwind most of the day, and to have someone inches away from me when I am not used to it is sometimes difficult, and dangerous. I have to sometimes tell him to go find something to do while I clean, straighten up, whatever. If I get up from the couch he’ll ask me where I am going. (to the bathroom Khomer!) or when I leave he’ll ask me when I am returning. (In two hours, Dad!) Sometimes I go to my room and read for a while just to get a break. But I know he’s looking for reassurance, and if that is the worst of our problems, then we are living on Easy Street.

We start school on Tuesday, so I anticipate some bumps along the road. His conversational English is excellent, but our school district and school have really high standards, and his world knowledge is completely different.  Luckily, I teach in the mornings in the same building, and he and Grace are in the same hallway. He also had a couple of weeks of tutoring from his amazing teacher, Joni Corcoran, before school, so all of those things should help ease the transition. But he will have to work very, very hard this year. I hope he's up for the challenge.

It is an incredible feeling to have this new little person call me mom, run up and hug me when I've been away, and sneak up and kiss me on the cheek. It is wonderful to see his eyes light up as I tuck him into bed each night, kiss him on the forehead, and tell him goodnight, and that I love him. It is what every child deserves in life. He waited ten years and two months for that, and I am so honored and blessed to be the one that gets to do it.

Thanks for reading…Gotta run!

No comments:

Post a Comment